Tesla Quartet Call for Scores 2016
|Tesla Quartet Call for Scores 2016|
|Summary:||String Quartet Competition|
|Deadline:||01 April 2017|
|Date Posted:||12 October 2016|
The Tesla Quartet is pleased to announce its inaugural Call for Scores. Composers are encouraged to submit completed works for string quartet for consideration, with the winning quartet receiving two performances in the spring of 2017. Any composer is eligible regardless of age, nationality, sex, color, creed, sexual orientation, marital status, disability or veteran status. The composition must be written for string quartet (2 violins, viola, cello) and must have a duration between 5 and 20 minutes.|
The selection will be made using a blind evaluation process. All submissions will go to a dedicated email address, email@example.com, which will be monitored by an assistant who will transfer all the anonymous scores to the members of Tesla Quartet for review. An anonymous call prevents against any bias while selecting the work. Our decision will be made purely on quality of the music and not personal connections we may have with composers.
The winning work will receive two performances in the spring of 2017:
April 1, 2017
Mount Allison University
Sackville, New Brunswick, Canada
April 8, 2017
Western Piedmont Symphony Chamber Classics
We strongly encourage the composer of the winning work to travel to the performance and Tesla Quartet will gladly provide a travel stipend of $400 towards his/her travel expenses.
1. Submit the entry fee of $15 through PayPal at paypal.me/teslaquartet.
2. Each entry of 1 anonymous score and parts must be emailed in pdf format to firstname.lastname@example.org (subject: “TeslaCFS2016”) along with:
a. An info sheet (.pdf, .doc, .docx, .odt, or .txt ) with composer’s name, title of the submission, length of work, short bio, and contact information
b. Receipt or screenshot of completed PayPal payment of $15 per submission.
c. An optional anonymous recording of the work. The recording is welcome but not required. A midi rendering of the work is acceptable if a live performance is unavailable.
1. Application Deadline: All submissions must be sent and fees paid by 11:59 pm EST on December 1, 2016. Entries received after this date will not be considered.
2. Composers may submit as many scores as they wish, but each work should be submitted as a separate entry and will require a separate fee of $15.
3. No name or any personal information should appear anywhere on the submitted scores or recordings. Any submission with identifying information will be disqualified from the selection. The entry fee is not refundable.
5. Every submission must include both score and individual instrument parts.
6. Works that include electronics will not be considered at this time. We hope to expand the Call for Scores to include electronic or amplified works in the future.
7. The winning composition will be announced on February 15, 2017.
8. The decision of the Tesla Quartet is not open to appeal. The results will be announced on our website and across our social media platforms.
9. Please see the FAQ below for the most commonly asked questions. Any additional questions may be sent to email@example.com. Note: Please do NOT send submission materials or any questions to the Tesla Quartet’s official email address (firstname.lastname@example.org), to our social media portals or contact any of the members personally, as this will violate this call for scores strict anonymity requirements and will result in removal from consideration.
10. Submission fees are not refundable.
Q: Can the piece be longer than 20 minutes?
A: Every submission must have a duration between 5 and 20 minutes.
Q: Can I submit a work for trombone and string quartet?
A: No. Please submit works for two violins, viola and cello only.
Q: My quartet has already received its premiere and has been performed a few times. Am I still eligible to submit it?
A: Yes! We're accepting scores regardless of whether they are hot off the press or collecting dust on the shelf.
Q: If my quartet is selected as the winner, can I attend both performances?
A: Yes you can! And we hope you do. However, the Tesla Quartet can only offer one stipend of $400 total toward travel.
Q: I'm still working on my string quartet, and I'm not sure when it will be finished. Can I send you what I have?
A: Please only send completed works. Incomplete works will not be considered.