Simon Carrington Chamber Singers Choral Composition Competition
|Simon Carrington Chamber Singers Choral Composition Competition|
|Summary:||Choral Composition Competition|
|Deadline:||30 January 2014|
|Date Posted:||19 November 2013|
Simon Carrington Chamber Singers Choral Composition Competition|
The Simon Carrington Chamber Singers is pleased to announce the fifth annual competition for new choral works. The Simon Carrington Chamber Singers perform and record a wide range of music in the English choral tradition while educating, engaging, and enriching the lives of its diverse audiences.
This year’s concert is entitled “Theatres of War.” Of special interest are works setting wartime poetry (especially that of World War I) and pieces that are reflective of war and/or peace. All works will be considered however provide they follow the rules listed.
1. Composers of any age, of any nationality, are invited to submit up to two works composed in any style for mixed chamber singers.
2. Duration should not exceed 8 minutes. Multiple movements are allowed provided the entire work does not exceed 8 minutes.
3. Works should be for unaccompanied mixed choir. SCCS uses a roster of 24 singers, 6 on a part. All divisi combinations within those numbers are manageable.
4. Works may have been performed previously. If so, please include a performance history.
5. Works submitted should have been composed within the last seven years.
6. Works may be in any language. If in a language other than English, Latin, French, German, Italian, or Spanish, please include an IPA transcription.
7. Texts should be public domain or a letter of permission from the rights holder granting permission must accompany the submission.
8. Non-traditional notation is acceptable as long as there is a clearly notated key provided.
9. Previous winners and finalists of the SCCSCCC are eligible to submit again but must submit a different work.
Your submission package should include (1) score/octavo with duration clearly indicated (2) cover letter with composer contact information including email, title of works submitted, date composed, and duration (3) IPA transcription, if applicable (4) text permission letter, if applicable (5) performance history. A recording is optional.
Entry fee is $25 for the first piece and $10 for the second. All composers should remit payment thorough our PayPal account, accessible from the SCCS website. (Find the PayPal link below).
Electronic submissions are preferred. The cover letter, receipt, scores, recordings, and other materials should be submitted electronically as .pdf and .mp3 files in a .zip file in one email to SCCSComposition@gmail.com.
The composer of the winning piece will receive a prize of $750.00 (seven hundred fifty USD), two concert performances in June 2014, and a performance and/or recording session recording. The composer of the winning work is invited to come for the rehearsals and concerts but not required. The Simon Carrington Chamber Singers will have non-exclusive, world-wide perpetual license to perform the winning piece and shall have the right to record the performance for archival and other purposes, including distribution and sale of such recording. Other submitted works may also be selected for performance but will not receive prize money.
Submissions must be received by January 30, 2014. Please e-mail submissions and any questions to:
Upon receipt of materials, a confirmation email will be sent within 72 hours. The winner will be announced mid-February.
If you wish to submit physical copies or payment, please contact Lee Hartman for instructions.