Wind band Competitions & Call for pieces
|The Cypress Symphonic Band 4th Annual Call for Scores|
|Deadline:||01 May 2017|
|Date Posted:||08 February 2017|
Entry Fee: None|
Open to: Emerging composers, regardless of age or nationality
Prize: Selected compositions will be performed by the Cypress Symphonic Band, a volunteer community wind ensemble based in Houston, Texas.
Theme: The theme for this season is Monsters, Myths, Legends, and Heroes. Preference will be given to those works that can be considered to match the theme.
Deadline: May 1, 2017
The Cypress Symphonic Band, a volunteer community wind ensemble, is dedicated to the performance of new compositions by living composers who have not yet been widely performed. The ensemble is currently seeking new or unperformed works for the 2017-2018 season.
Rules for Entry (entries not adhering to the following conditions will be rejected):
· Instrumentation: Works must be for standard wind ensemble and will adhere as closely as possible to the following instrumentation: 1 Pic.[opt], 2 Flute, 2 Oboe, 2 Bssn, 1 Eb Clar. [opt], 3 Bb Clar., 1 Bass Clar., 1 Contra Alto Clar., 2 Alto Sax., 1 Tenor Sax., 1 Bari. Sax., 4 Horns, 3 Trpts., 2 Trbn., 1 Bass Trbn., 1 Euph., 1 Tuba, 1 String Bass, Perc. [opt]. The work may include piano and/or harp. Scores with minimal percussion parts (up to four players) will be given preference.
· Composer: There is no age restriction. Preference is given to those composers who do not have a track record of performances by university or professional wind ensembles.
· Duration: There is no maximum or minimum duration, but preference is given to works
between 4 and 10 minutes in length.
· Difficulty: All difficulty levels are acceptable, but preference is given to those works that would be considered grade 4 or 5 by the standards of the latest Texas University Interscholastic League Prescribed Music List.
· Prior Performance: Works may not have been publicly performed. Reading and/or recording sessions for the purposes of submission are acceptable. The performance of the winning entries by the Cypress Symphonic Band will be considered world premieres, and will be marketed as such.
· Published (including self-published) works will not be accepted.
· Audio Files: Composers are strongly encouraged to include links to some sort of audio realization (MIDI, live performance, etc.) of their scores.
· Number of Entries: Composers may submit as many entries as they wish, each under separate cover.
· Age of Works: Entries must have been composed after Dec. 31, 2015.
· Copyright: The entrant must be the sole owner of the work being submitted, and is the responsible party in the case of any disputes. All copyrights will be retained by the composer. No arrangements will be accepted—only original works. The owner of the work agrees to limited performance and mechanical rights without payment of royalties to the Cypress Symphonic Band for a single live performance and the sale and distribution of demonstration recordings. The copyright owner also agrees to allow the band to place a copy of the recording on their website for a limited time for public access. Any recordings provided to the copyright owner by the Cypress Symphonic Band may be used by the copyright owner in perpetuity without restriction.
· Prize: The judging panel will select up to eight works to be performed and recorded during the 2017-2018 season, and a recording of the performance, if available, will be provided to the composer. Additionally, outstanding works will be offered the opportunity to publish through Avalon Press. The panel reserves the right to select no entries if none are acceptable. Second Round composers will be informed prior to June 1, and will be invited at their own expense to attend the performance of their work. Upon notification of a winning entry, all performance materials must be submitted in PDF format by June 15, 2017.
· Submission deadline: May 1, 2017
Please submit all materials electronically (pdf/mp3 format only. No Soundcloud links, please.) to: submissions@CypressSymphonicBand.org
Please contact Clancy Weeks with any questions regarding the submission requirements, and place CSB Submission in the Subject line.
Contact Information: Clancy Weeks
Deadline: 1 May 2017
|NBA/Alfred Publishing Young Band Composition Contest, sponsored by Alfred Publishing|
|Deadline:||01 June 2017|
|Date Posted:||27 September 2016|
The NBA/Alfred Publishing Young Band Composition Contest is sponsored by Alfred Publishing. Special thanks to composer and music educator Robert Sheldon for his support and guidance in establishing this special partnership with the National Band Association. This young band contest seeks to find composers writing for grades 1-3. There is a cash prize for the winner, plus the possibility of the winning work being published in Alfred’s Young Band catalog. Deadline for submissions is June 1, 2017. For information, email the contest chair, Audrey Murphy: email@example.com.|