Christmas Carol Competition
|Christmas Carol Competition|
|Deadline:||31 May 2017|
|Date Posted:||20 March 2017|
The Hallé Choir is delighted to announce that our Christmas Carol Competition is now open. The winner will be the entrant whose composition, in the opinion of the judges, demonstrates originality and flair.|
The deadline for receipt of entries is 1700 hours BST on 31 May 2017. Entries received after this time will not be considered.
• One entry per person only
• The composition (original music) must be written for performance by the Hallé Choir (i.e. SATB a cappella choir), and be not more than 5 minutes in length
• Open to UK residents born after 1st January 1987
• Entries may be sacred or secular, using new or existing text, but must be an original musical composition
THE JUDGING PANEL
▪ Matthew Hamilton – Hallé Choral Director
▪ Jonathon Heywood – Hallé Assistant Conductor
▪ Prof. Adam Gorb – Head of Composition, RNCM
▪ Merryl Webster – Chair, Hallé Choir
The winning entry will receive its first public performance by the Hallé Choir in a Christmas Concert in December 2017
The winning composer will be awarded a commission by the Hallé Concerts Society to write for the Hallé Choir, Hallé Youth Choir or Hallé Youth Orchestra, at the sole option of the Hallé Concerts Society
One winner will be chosen from the shortlist by the final judges. Results of the competition will be published in October 2017 on http://www.halle.co.uk/the-halle-family/halle-choir/christmas-carol-competition/.
The prize includes reasonable standard class travel to and from the December 2017 concert and, if necessary owing to distance, to one night’s accommodation for the winner and a guest. The accommodation will be on a room-only basis sharing one twin/double room. The travel method(s) and level of accommodation and exact location will be selected by the Promoter at its sole discretion and notified reasonably in advance to the winner.
HOW TO ENTER
Entrants should send 3 printed copies of their entry, along with full contact details, proof of age, and (if applicable) proof of permission to use any text in copyright, to:
Hallé Carol Competition
FAO Jo Pink,
Hallé Concerts Society
The Bridgewater Hall,
Manchester M1 5HA
Entries will be anonymised before being passed to the judging panel.