Hillcrest Wind Ensemble 2017/18 Call for Scores
|Hillcrest Wind Ensemble 2017/18 Call for Scores|
|Summary:||Wind Ensemble Call|
|Deadline:||06 November 2017|
|Date Posted:||22 February 2017|
This composition competition is open to all North American composers. Members of the HWE and their families are not eligible. All entries must meet the guidelines below to be considered.
What we’re looking for:
1) Style/Subject Matter: All styles of music will be considered. All compositions must be original works for wind ensemble (composer’s transcriptions are okay) and NOT have been previously published or performed in order to be performed as a World Premiere Performance. (No self-published works will be accepted – publish your work after the contest.)
2) Wind Ensemble: score for standard wind ensemble. We have the following instruments:
6 Flutes (up to 3 piccs), 2 Oboes, 2 Bassoons, 1 Eb Clar, 6 Bb Clar, 1 Bass Clar, 1 Alto Clar or Contra Alto Clar, 2 Alto Sax, 1 Tenor Sax, 1 Bari Sax, 5 Cornets/Trumpets, 4 Horns, 3 Trombones, 2 Euph/Baritones, 2 Tubas, 1 String Bass, 1 Timpani, 1 Mallet, 2 Percussion
Do NOT include English horn, soprano sax, harp, piano, etc. We don’t have those instruments.
We have limited technology for electronics. If your composition includes electronics it should be easily accessible. Vocals are permissible for up to 4 singers, SATB or solo voice.
3) Duration: Preference is given to works between 4 and 10 minutes in length.
4) Entry Fee(s): The entry fee is $20 for each submission. If submitting pieces via E-mail, then checks should be mailed under separate cover to the address below.
5) Difficulty: Pieces should be for medium to advanced players. Grade 3 to 5.
6) If in the opinion of the judges no entry is deemed worthy of the prize, none shall be awarded.
Deadline for submissions: November 6, 2017 (postmarked or E-mail by 11:59pm).
The winning entries will be notified in December 2017. Parts needed by January 10, 2018.
There will be two cash awards: 1st place of $500.00 and 2nd place of$250.00. Winning pieces will be performed at the HWE Spring Concert in 2018.
What to submit
1) Score: professional quality score which is bound or a PDF file E-mailed.
2) Composer information: Information sheet with your name, address, telephone number and E-mail.
3) Recording: Live or MIDI sound file is okay. Recordings must be WAV or MP3 format. If we can’t listen to it, we won’t consider it. CDs should be labeled. E-mailed files should be MP3, 6MB max.
4) Entry fee(s): a non-refundable application fee of $20.00 in the form of a check must be included with each submission. All checks must be made payable to "The Center - HWE", with “HWE Composition” noted in the memo. US funds only. Entry fees are tax deductible.
Email PDF score and MP3 file (no larger than 6mb) to firstname.lastname@example.org
Entry fee can be mailed separately, but must be postmarked no later than November 6, 2017.
You may alternatively mail hardcopies and recording (WAV or MP3 file) to:
Hillcrest Wind Ensemble
PO Box 3606
Chula Vista, CA 91909
For questions E-mail: email@example.com