The Joliet Symphony Orchestra at USF’s Composition Competition 2017
|The Joliet Symphony Orchestra at USF’s Composition Competition 2017|
|Summary:||Community Orchestra Competition|
|Deadline:||01 June 2017|
|Date Posted:||01 February 2017|
The JSO seeks to broaden the repertoire for college/community orchestras, |
recognize outstanding composers, and bring new music to our audiences.
The winning piece will be performed on a JSO concert during the 2017-2018 season.
Honorable Mentions will be awarded as well and considered for performances on future concerts.
- suitable for a college/community orchestra
- length under 10 minutes
- instrumentation not to exceed 3232/4331/Tp+2/Hp/Str
(piccolo, English honr, and bass clarinet doublings are allowed)
- written in 2010 or later
- no age limit
- no geographical limit
- no entry fee
- limit 1 submission per composer
Beyond standard criteria (idiomatic writing and orchestration, lack of notational errors, etc.),
the following traits will be valued:
- sensitivity to the variety of skill levels in college/community orchestras’ string sections
- rewarding parts for all players, especially those with traditionally less-involved parts
Email the following materials to firstname.lastname@example.org by April 15, 2017 11:59 p.m. CST:
- contact information: name, email address, phone number
- PDF of full score
- PDF of first violin part
- link to recording of live or MIDI performance (if available)
Announcement of Winners
Winners will be announced on June 1. The first-prize winner is expected to submit PDFs of all parts by July 1.