Login   Sign Up 

Site Search.

New Members

Other Resources
News Archive

Looking for fugues and counterpointworks based on famous melodies  Sevencircles at 17:41 on 20 October 2011

I am looking for fugues and counterpointworks based on famous melodies, like popsongs for instance.

Do you know any good ones?

Re: Looking for fugues and counterpointworks based on famous melodies  MartinY at 16:17 on 23 October 2011

I do not want to particularly promote my own pieces.... but here is a link to Ludi Musici:

http://imslp.org/wiki/Ludi_Musici_I_(Grayson,_Martin)

which is two sets of 7 pieces based on pre-existing material like Brigg Fair or La Cioconna. The name comes from the collection of Samuel Scheidt, whose 4th book of string pieces is largely based on popular tunes, including Lord Willoughby's Welcome Home. My pieces are in only 2 parts so a proper fugue is not really possible but fugato inventions are possible in 2 parts. Of course more recent composers who wrote fugues are Hindemith and Shostakovich, and I seem to half remember some by perhaps Ligeti and Kagel??? (is this right???) In an earlier period there are the big organ and orchestral fugues of Reger, such as his Mozart Variations.

In an earlier period still there are what are called Parody Masses where the whole mass is based on a familiar tune, such as Guerrero's Mass on La Battaglia. My favourite is the wonderful Missa Mille Regretz by Morales. I have thought about counterpoint based on Missa Mille Regretz and I think it lacks obvious points of imitation as much as the Royal Theme in the Musical Offering. Another one is Lassus's mass on Bruder Conrad which is a very unreligious chanson to use as a mass......... Sorry - no 21st century popular music here but of course you would have copyright problems if you used a newly composed theme!

<Added>

If you do look at IMSLP and want some old music teaching material for strings or wind I have just put up a version of a really good Ouverture in G-Minor by J. J. Fux of Gradus ad Parnassum fame, which contains a Trio Sonata movement in canon.

Re: Looking for fugues and counterpointworks based on famous melodies  MNC3333 at 22:56 on 18 December 2011

Species counterpoint generally offers less freedom to the composer than other types of counterpoint, and is therefore a so-called strict counterpoint. Species counterpoint was developed as a pedagogical tool, in which a student progresses through several "species" of increasing complexity, with a very simple part that does not change known as the cantus firmus (Latin for "fixed melody"). The student gradually attains the ability to write free counterpoint. (that is, less rigorously constrained counterpoint, usually without a cantus firmus) according to the rules at the given time. The idea is at least as old as 1532, when Giovanni Maria Lanfranco described a similar concept in his Scintille di musica (Brescia, 1533). The 16th century Venetian theorist Zarlino elaborated on the idea in his influential lte phones Le institutioni harmoniche, and it was first presented in a codified form in 1619 by Lodovico Zacconi in his Prattica di musica. Zacconi, unlike later theorists, included a few extra contrapuntal techniques as species, for example invertible counterpoint.

Re: Looking for fugues and counterpointworks based on famous melodies  Hellen at 09:06 on 27 December 2011

I too was on the lookout for counterpoint works that are based on popular melodies and some fugues. It is really nice to see Martin has already posted a link to the music here. Anyway, please do update if you come up with any 21st century music of the same sort.

Re: Looking for fugues and counterpointworks based on famous melodies  fwalters at 08:51 on 09 March 2012

Thank you for the background info MCN, I prefer Zacconi's pieces which leave more freedom to interpretation, rather than earlier composers that require a stricter approach. Regards, Sophia Flowers, Switzerland

Re: Looking for fugues and counterpointworks based on famous melodies  sarahevz67 at 14:07 on 22 May 2012

Not so much a fan of classical music but I have heard of "counterpoint" in one of our minor subject in college. The term originates from the Latin punctus contra punctum meaning "point against point". Martin's musics are really great. And I agree that if you come up with something new, you should share this to the public. You got a great talent there. Jasmine Curtis of Elevation group

Re: Looking for fugues and counterpointworks based on famous melodies  lcourbier at 12:48 on 25 September 2014

Hi Sevencircles, I actually just posted a fugue based on the Batman theme, check it out, you might be interested !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qOFnapEsVM

Best,
Laurent