bobgilmore (31/8)
  kimfung (26/8)
  sarahjs (25/8)
  CHARLIE17 (24/8)

» Full C:T Members List

Other Resources
News Archive

Conveying specific meaning in music  GuyInSummers at 17:45 on 29 August 2011

This question is inspired by a website my friend showed me (http://meaninginmusic.com) where composers post twenty-second pieces about specific ideas. What I found remarkable about it was that people were taking guesses about what the pieces meant and often those guesses were very close to or exactly what the composer intended, even for topics as specific as 'running' or 'weasel'.

If you ever try to express specific ideas through absolute music, how do you go about it? I'm sure that, for example, tempo would correlate strongly with emotion, and for me some instruments have stereotypical meanings -- legato horn melodies over strings always remind me of the ocean, for example. But beyond that I imagine it gets very personally specific.

Wasn't there some composer who boasted that if he wanted to write music about a spoon, the audience would sure as heck see spoons?

By the way, if anybody wants a fun way to practice writing little microcompositions, that site can be a lot of fun. It's still really small though.

Re: Conveying specific meaning in music  StephenJMacko at 12:59 on 06 September 2011

Just for peace of mind, I would like to write...If you are ever asked, as a young composer, to write about a specific topic, and that topic does not agree with your life-long goal as a composer.

Make an excuse not to write. And continue aspiring to your next master work.

Re: Conveying specific meaning in music  StephenJMacko at 14:19 on 06 September 2011

The person that wrote: "Conveying specific meaning in music" is preparing for grad school and wrote and created the site he is asking for musical examples to be sent to.

Does not the title of his post sound like what this Forum is for?

I was going to write a post today, but instead, I would like to write about authors and composers that write for work and for enjoyment.

An author or composer writes about subjects that allow expression to cause creations of words, phrases, sounds, periods of time, and many other important historical points of reason.

As a composer/author, I would like to challenge that music has meaning, only when meaning is meant. For instance

d

b

Mn

this noun means "word" in Chinese. THE ABOUT ON THE SITE OF THIS SUBJECT, JUST DOES NOT COVER ANYTHING BUT PSYCHOLOGICAL EVENT.

Yes, composers know what they see...hear...and read.

Good God...they know.

Stephen John Macko, B.A.

<Added>

the Chinese did not print

post note