sumio (21/10)
  Archery Promos (20/10)
  Evan Merklin (18/10)

» Full C:T Members List

Other Resources
News Archive

This 21 message thread spans 2 pages:  < <   1  [2] 
  Re: Instrumental technique  MartinY at 10:59 on 08 July 2010

Messing about with the tuning pegs while playing???

I got involved with a discussion about this via French baroque music where flattement is a finger vibrato which consists of the note and flatter notes fluctuating by wobbling a finger in a hole shading position.

The question became ... can you do flattement on a guitar. Probably not.

Now I think on the guitar you can make a sharpement by pulling the string but to get a flattement you might have to waggle the tuning peg and I do not think that sounds a good idea.

(There once was a musicologist advocating that there was good evidence that in the baroque gut strung lutenists tuned in the middle of pieces and players should learn to do this. After a few people had strings unwinding completely in the middle of a performance it was decided that this was not a good idea.) I am not going to pursue this idea but I do remember like much in music the 1st composer I can think of who did this was Haydn in a symphony where the violins detune their G-string and tune it up in the middle of the piece. Can anyone remember which symphony it is and what he exactly did?

Re: Instrumental technique  FergusJ at 07:02 on 04 September 2010

regarding the Haydn: I think it's No 60.

Re: Instrumental technique  Misuc at 11:05 on 04 September 2010

It IS no. 60. The music was originally written for a play about an absent-minded person "Il Distratto". The tuning-up effect was no more than an instantaneous joke with no further implications on the form of this beautifully inventive piece. [They only briefly de-tune their instruments and tune them up again].

Re: Instrumental technique  Rufusnoonan at 08:45 on 08 October 2010

Hello all,
Great post guys because I want this technique and I hope I am not the only person to find such things interesting. I have an old cooking guitar which I re-string for scordatura and mess about for various things. One day I will take its frets out and glue shaved match-sticks in position for some microtonal experiments.

customer retention rate|customer loyalty program

Re: Instrumental technique  Misuc at 09:09 on 08 October 2010

Please remove your obnoxious profiteering/commercial stuff before you dare to intervene in discussions between musicians/composers. If you can't do this, remove yourself.

Re: Instrumental technique  Misuc at 09:09 on 08 October 2010

Please remove your obnoxious profiteering/commercial stuff before you dare to intervene in discussions between musicians/composers. If you can't do this, remove yourself.

This 21 message thread spans 2 pages:  < <   1  [2]