bbhrupp (21/7)
  Milo1865 (17/7)
  supertrex (17/7)
  Rood (16/7)

» Full C:T Members List

Other Resources
News Archive

Music and Sight  Pete12b at 00:44 on 15 November 2008

I've just been reading about a Dr Kravkow. In one experiment, by playing music to patients, he managed to increase the eyesight of several people by 25%,(Music and Emotion P.28), has anyone out there heard of recent studies where sight or other senses have had rigorous scientific validation with successful results?

Re: Music and Sight  scott_good at 20:01 on 22 November 2008

This is interesting - can you supply any on line links for further information? Googling the name did not yield any results.

The only thing I have heard about is the phenominum where someone "hears" colour. It has been explained to me (and this is very vague and unsubstatiated), that in certain individuals, the membranes between the aural and optic nerves are thinner than should be, thus information can pass between them. I only mention this because it does relate aural and optic capacities, but I have no idea if it is releated to what you are discussing.

Scott

Re: Music and Sight  IanTipping at 01:41 on 23 November 2008

The condition Scott refers to, Synaesthesia, is well documented throughout history. Whilst most famous instances do appear to be this connection between sound and colour, it can apparently manifest itself as a connection between any two (or more) of the senses, e.g. a strong sense of coffee aroma upon hearing G# or the feeling of cold upon seeing blue.

As Scott suggests, the cause of the condition is not yet understood, although one theory suggests that all five senses are implicitly connected at birth and new born babies spend the first few months of their lives living in a psychedelic haze of sounds triggering colour responses, smells triggering 'feeling' sensations and the rest. As our brains develop, the senses become 'compartmentalised' and separate off, except in a few lucky (or possibly unlucky) individuals where the neural pathways remain connected. Amongst the most famous people to have this were Messaien and Scriabin, who intended to create an organ that would play the colours he saw when each note was played (although I'm pretty sure said organ was never actually made)

Interesting stuff. It seems as though we may all have a certain level of this condition. A theory exists that some 'latent' Synaethesiac responses may have led to the development of language. After all, we musicians regularly steal words intrinsically associated with visual art or touch sensations to attempt to describe frankly indescribable elements of music (warm, cold, spiky, smooth, bright, dark, gentle, heavy.... this could go on for a while!)

Re: Music and Sight  rednote at 05:53 on 23 November 2008

If you want more information about synesthesia please go to http://www.synesthesia.info

Warm regards,
Carol

Co-Founder and Board Member American Synesthesia Association, Inc.

Re: Music and Sight  Pete12b at 08:18 on 24 November 2008

I comes from a book - I know - old hat! "Music and your Emotions" by the Music Research Foundation. 1952, Liveright Publishing New York