Flaute (20/11)
  M.Akram (20/11)
  margaretmoss12 (18/11)
  aldymf91 (17/11)
  BrianCiach (13/11)

» Full C:T Members List

Other Resources
News Archive

KLANG: A Tribute to Karlheinz Stockhausen announced  CT News at 09:20 on 07 July 2008

The South Bank Center, London has announced details of its 'KLANG' festival - a tribute to Stockhausen who died last year.

http://www.southbankcentre.co.uk/festivals-series/stockhausen-festival

Re: KLANG: A Tribute to Karlheinz Stockhausen announced  EugeneMarshall at 15:55 on 07 July 2008

I hate Stockhausen.
I hold him responsible as one of the forces that drew audiences away from Western Art Music.
I would never pay tribute to him.
He contributed to the advancement of music, sure, but it was at the cost of the audience or lack there of.

Re: KLANG: A Tribute to Karlheinz Stockhausen announced  ruska02 at 15:38 on 08 July 2008

Audience ran away from classical contemporary music simply because thinking has become an
optional for many people who prefer washing away their souls instead of digging into them,,,the people playing in the orchestra went away from the 3rd symphony premiere ...and last bach concert here in venice by tom koopman was seldom praised because too difficult while tun dun and isang yun are considered by some " composers" so..,as Adorno used to say..the lower in quality you go the more people respect you get...

thanks karlheinz without you not only no contemporary electronic music could be possible, but not even spectral and some incredible tangerine dream , popol vhu and electronc pop so...

ciao ciao

Re: KLANG: A Tribute to Karlheinz Stockhausen announced  carlswanholm at 15:57 on 08 July 2008

Sure would like to hear some of yours, esp since you compare "Golden Era" masters with present composers (I've noticed you, ruska02, have a ton of talk and but 1 sample, elsewhere).

Re: KLANG: A Tribute to Karlheinz Stockhausen announced  carlswanholm at 17:25 on 08 July 2008

"Song of the Youth" (and Berio's "Visage") burst open the tinkering of electronic music into a wondrous new realm. Abrupt and in and out phasing collages designed as aural kalaidoscopic youthful swirlings (that frizzle a bit); a marvelous museum piece forever now.

<Added>

fizzle

<Added>

(Been a long time since I've listened to it so 'frizzle' is better)

Re: KLANG: A Tribute to Karlheinz Stockhausen announced  Nicolas Tzortzis at 23:02 on 09 July 2008

dear Eugene
you couldn't be more inaccurate in what you say about Stockhausen being responsible for driving audiences away from contemporary music.
Just find and read how popular his music was in the 60's and 70's,how many people (not necesseraly musicians) attended his concerts,how many people attented his performances and were influenced on a personal level by his thinking.
You have every right not to like his music,but what you say is just wrong and misinformed.

Re: KLANG: A Tribute to Karlheinz Stockhausen announced  EugeneMarshall at 11:38 on 11 July 2008

It may be true.
I've seen the helikopter quartet myself and it was impressive... but not as music.
I feel his music was only successful because it was so elaborate.
It is almost impossible to duplicate and perform according to his wishes.
In modern times, without all the special effects, he is driving people away.
I've seen it in my own University.

Re: KLANG: A Tribute to Karlheinz Stockhausen announced  James McFadyen at 08:39 on 12 July 2008

It is almost impossible to duplicate and perform according to his wishes.

If that is true then he ought to have learned what the purpose of music notation is: To produce a musical score using graphical symbols to ensure that an accurate performance can be duplicated

Re: KLANG: A Tribute to Karlheinz Stockhausen announced  ruska02 at 09:48 on 12 July 2008

You should have taught him, professor !

humility not really your bread ---

ciao reformer of musical history

Re: KLANG: A Tribute to Karlheinz Stockhausen announced  Nicolas Tzortzis at 10:12 on 14 July 2008

dear James
if the helicopter string quartet "is almost impossible to duplicate and perform according to his wishes",that is not the notation's fault.the score is extremely clear and precise.it's everything around it that is "kinda hard" to do.

dear Eugene
what do you exactly mean by:
"I feel his music was only successful because it was so elaborate."
good music is supposed to be elaborate,isn't it?
how well do you know stockhausen's music?
maybe you just listened to his bad pieces (everybody has bad pieces) and didn't find the reason to listen to more of his work.he did write a lot...
but still, the man has written some amazing works that even today sound fresh,innovative,beautiful and absolutely amazing.

Re: KLANG: A Tribute to Karlheinz Stockhausen announced  Misuc at 18:57 on 14 July 2008

I don't quite agree that Stockhausen's music only succeeded because it was so elaborate, but there is a truth behind this idea. Stockhausen's simple (or simplistic) music does not convince me at all, whereas the phenomenal drama and dynamism of 'Kontrapunkte' 'Momente' or especially 'Gruppen' come not so much from the particular choice of pitches, durations, loud/soft, timbre, position in space etc. but from the very fact that all these elements are in play - there is so much going on. This goes for all the 'new complexity' school. Whenever I read the phenomenally pretentious and inarticulate catechisms these composers write about the incredibly abstruse and irrelevant processes involved in putting their scores together, I don't believe them and I am tempted to throw the lot of them into the rubbish bin, but it is an absolute miracle to me how powerful and effective many of them can be when you hear them. I find James' strictures about what music notation is for vulgar and philistine, but I can't help feeling that he is basically right. Stockhausen and his circle were just at the beginning of a trend to extreme notation fetishism - as though the ink contained the music and not the mind. Stockhausen tried to convince himself that one day we would really be able to feel the time-pitch relationships that he was playing with: late 'complex' composers don't even pretend to believe that anybody could imagine the sounds behind their notes, let alone play them accurately.

Re: KLANG: A Tribute to Karlheinz Stockhausen announced  carlswanholm at 19:15 on 14 July 2008

"Mantra" live was a new experience for me because of the electronically 'altered' pianos and crotales atop for pianists (Feldman has an exquisitely dissonant
yet always slow and quiet work, unique composer, that uses a celesta/piano [1 player] w/ ensemble, 4 hrs) -- I'd love to experience "Gruppen" or his 7 day opera, "Licht" live!

<Added>

(The celesta/pianist prf barefoot!)