freddiking (16/6)
  krhes (16/6)
  Annjoseph (15/6)
  frooli94 (14/6)

» Full C:T Members List

Other Resources
News Archive

This 18 message thread spans 2 pages:  < <   1  [2] 
  Re: Is there a universal notation system for tabla and if so how does it work?  sudeep_rai at 18:36 on 15 January 2010

You have anything more on this expansion part. I would love to get an idea and see how this was managed.

FYI i am a tabla pyaler from India and have been learning tabla for quite a log time now.It would be great to have a universal tabla notation systems that fits in anywhere....

Re: Is there a universal notation system for tabla and if so how does it work?  dolkin at 09:12 on 27 December 2011

It is really nice to see a thread here based on Tabla. From what I can see, there definitely has to be a universal notation for tabala. Howsoever, you might need to undergo a hand-written course which would help you learn blend into the western style by keeping a unique identity.

<Added>

what are the benefits of using in ear headphones ?

Re: Is there a universal notation system for tabla and if so how does it work?  tablamontreal at 16:16 on 01 November 2015

Hi everyone,

I just came across this thread, though wish I had seen it years ago! I'm a tabla player, based in Montreal, Canada, and perform both in the Indian classical and Western new music spheres. While there is a traditional method of notating tabla compositions (Bhatkande notation), it unfortunately doesn't suit itself well to Western music contexts.

I have recently created a page on the subject, where I detail a Western notation system for tabla that was developed in collaboration with American composer Payton MacDonald. This notation system has since been used by a number of composers, and we hope that this notation system will catch on as a standard notation for tabla.

Here is the URL: http://www.shawnmativetsky.com/notation

I hope that this will be of some help!

Regards,
Shawn

This 18 message thread spans 2 pages:  < <   1  [2]