Login   Sign Up 

Site Search.

New Members

Other Resources
News Archive

This 19 message thread spans 2 pages:  < <   1  [2] 
  Re: Negative atonal music  Gary Green at 23:08 on 10 June 2008

Hello all
I bet you thought this post had died off, or I'd gone to sleep.

Thanks for all your posts in response to my original question/comment about atonal music. I wanted to go off and listen to and digest a few pieces you suggested I should listen to - I would have liked to have listened to more before I responded, but unforuntately I couldn't find very many recordings to listen to.

Some compostions you suggested made me feel the same about atonal music as I did originally. Please don't take this as a slur on your music tastes... I just didn't enjoy them and I felt they didn't sound positive. The choice of instrumentation also affects my attitude to music too, so this probably colours my viewpoint. I can't always say that I feel positive about hearing a C major chord either... maybe it's just the way I play it!

I did enjoy Dutilleux's Metaboles and Nono's Liebeslied (although Nono didn't come across as entirely positive). I find Schoenberg's Piano concerto easier to listen to now and I feel it makes more sense that it did when I first heard it, but I still find it difficult to get my head around all of it. I do however like the way it surprises me in moments when I still think it's going to provide the obvious answer to a phrase when it doesn't - despite the fact that I've heard it about 30 times now.

I'll still carry on looking for other pieces you've all recommended and thanks for pointing me in the direction of Dutilleux and Nono.

Thanks, Gary

Re: Negative atonal music  Misuc at 23:29 on 10 June 2008

Hey! It's so nice to have a conversation with someone who listens! I just heard the Schoenberg Violin concerto again after years. It's exhilarating, brilliant, exciting and so, so classical in spirit! I feel I/ve just discovered Schoenberg! My other new discovery is Nono again: Prometeo and 'AL gran Sole'... wow! But sad....

Re: Negative atonal music  Gary Green at 23:57 on 10 June 2008

Listening to or reading music? That's an interesting point, Misuc. I've started another post following on from this, as it's something I've been wondering about whilst I've been on this forum.

Gary

Re: Negative atonal music  James McFadyen at 07:59 on 11 June 2008

Listen to Ligeti's "Requiem"

Scary stuff but is an awesome work. Ligeti, for me was the last master in contemporary music. Today's contemporary music is no where near as it once was.

This 19 message thread spans 2 pages:  < <   1  [2]