Camron70 (22/10)
  sumio (21/10)
  Archery Promos (20/10)
  Evan Merklin (18/10)

» Full C:T Members List

Other Resources
News Archive

This 64 message thread spans 5 pages:  < <   1   2   3  [4]  5  > >  
  Re: Discriminating Pan-Oriental Terms of 7th Int`l Composition Prize 2008  carlswanholm at 18:22 on 16 May 2008

"

Re: Discriminating Pan-Oriental Terms of 7th Int`l Composition Prize 2008  Nicolas Tzortzis at 19:30 on 16 May 2008

Misunderstanding:When I say "not to be No 1" I am referring to the economic power in the world.For centuries,the "white man" was colonising and possessed all the wealth of the world.Now China is growing,India is growing,Russia is growing,Latin America is growing.It is only logical that they too want to have their imprint on "globalized" culture.Let's not forget that it's the West that started it all.Why should japanese teenagers be dancing to Britney Spears,or Pink Floyd,or Madonna?or why should they be learning Mozart or piano or bassoon?Well,they are.
The thing is that now that the wheel is turning and it's time that the East has a saying in all of these,not only as recievers.
I am not at all in favour of "globalized" culture,but I think that there is always going to be the national identity.Even today,in contemporary music,one can still tell a French to an Italian or a German composer.And where exactly do we set the boundaries of "our culture"?the nation?the continent?race?religion?A lot of Asian composers are ,in fact,christians.I was in Seoul last year and I was shocked by the number of christian churches there were.Religious imperialism.
the thing is that,the West is still imposing its history on others:notational system,education.In some years,if the sheng is part of a "contemporary" ensemble,one will write it in the treble clef,with sharps and flats.I don't think that the chinese notate like that.
Tradition evolves,and music evolves,and nations evolve.How many americans are of Asian origin?they are Americans,but they are also Asian,they have both in them.Should they forget one or the other?or should they embrace both,and try to give birth to something new?

Re: Discriminating Pan-Oriental Terms of 7th Int`l Composition Prize 2008  carlswanholm at 20:02 on 16 May 2008

"

Re: Discriminating Pan-Oriental Terms of 7th Int`l Composition Prize 2008  Gary Green at 20:34 on 16 May 2008

Different continent, region, nationality, country, county/province, town/city/village, borough, street... do you wear a shirt and tie when you go out at the weekend or do you wear a t-short and jeans, or maybe the jumper your gran knitted you... or maybe your wifes pants... I've seen you! You do. It doesn't matter... someone's always going to dislike you, or like you for it. The world is not a great big onion, but neither is it a just a blob of isolated culture here and there. It interacts. How much you get involved in this interaction is up to the individual - as long as it doesn't lead on to the active hatred of others, just because they don't like mayonaise on their chips or some other rubbish...

As I don't use the big Brian Sewell words or clever phrases does that make me the big thicky on the forum? It feels like it. Never mind, I've lived with it for a long time now.

Gary

Re: Discriminating Pan-Oriental Terms of 7th Int`l Composition Prize 2008  Misuc at 20:52 on 16 May 2008

Quite right, Gary. I'm sorry if my verbiage is a bit too overcooked.

Misuc at 20:52 on 16 May 2008

Re: Discriminating Pan-Oriental Terms of 7th Int`l Composition Prize 2008  windart at 00:06 on 17 May 2008

To carlswanholm:

Re: Discriminating Pan-Oriental Terms of 7th Int`l Composition Prize 2008  windart at 00:14 on 17 May 2008

To Misuc:

Re: Discriminating Pan-Oriental Terms of 7th Int`l Composition Prize 2008  windart at 00:18 on 17 May 2008

To Nicolas Tzortzis:

Re: Discriminating Pan-Oriental Terms of 7th Int`l Composition Prize 2008  windart at 00:21 on 17 May 2008

To Gary Green:

Re: Discriminating Pan-Oriental Terms of 7th Int`l Composition Prize 2008  windart at 00:36 on 17 May 2008

To Misuc(2)
"Quite right, Gary. I'm sorry if my verbiage is a bit too overcooked."

Re: Discriminating Pan-Oriental Terms of 7th Int`l Composition Prize 2008  Nicolas Tzortzis at 00:38 on 17 May 2008

if disagreeing with you means not being smart,then I accept your criticism.
I am just trying to show that there is wrong and right in both "sides".No one is (I think) trying to make you do this or that,or write the music you don't want to write,but if at least you can see what is right in the other "side's" argument,then I think we are ok.
And I don't think anyone should be kicked out of any forum just because his views are different than mine or because he chooses to express himself in a way I don't.

PS.I often wonder if things would get so heated up if we all were face to face and not behind a computer

Re: Discriminating Pan-Oriental Terms of 7th Int`l Composition Prize 2008  windart at 00:49 on 17 May 2008

To Nicolas Tzortzis:

Re: Discriminating Pan-Oriental Terms of 7th Int`l Composition Prize 2008  Misuc at 01:48 on 17 May 2008

Is Windart trying to destroy this forum on purpose, or is he destroying it accidentally through sheer stupiditv?

Now we have had a string of six messages from him with a lot of swear words and not one single thought.

Re: Discriminating Pan-Oriental Terms of 7th Int`l Composition Prize 2008  windart at 06:51 on 17 May 2008

This 64 message thread spans 5 pages:  < <   1   2   3  [4]  5  > >  

This thread is now closed