Re: Do you like a good tune.  Misuc at 18:34 on 23 April 2008

Re: Do you like a good tune.  Misuc at 18:35 on 23 April 2008

Misuc at 18:35 on 23 April 2008

Misuc at 18:35 on 23 April 2008

Misuc at 18:37 on 23 April 2008

Misuc at 18:37 on 23 April 2008

Re: Do you like a good tune.  Misuc at 18:38 on 23 April 2008

Where to go from here?

Are you serious? If you really want a good tune, then learn something about pure melody: there are excellent examples from the troubadours and minnesingers, from Chinese and Indian, Turkish and Arabic music etc. This will require some devotion and study: the scales are not the ones you will be used to, nor will the rhythms - more importantly the phrase structure and forms require some getting into. Music is meant to be difficult (at least to begin with) You get back what you put in.

Misuc at 18:38 on 23 April 2008

Re: Do you like a good tune.  Misuc at 18:38 on 23 April 2008

I'm sorry everyone. I'm really not trying to dominate this discussion. Something has been going wrong with my email programme. Apologies again.

Re: Do you like a good tune.  Jim Tribble at 19:01 on 23 April 2008

What I meant was that there is an agreement for this kind of music, is that were it ends? in an agreement. I have been thinking about starting a group specializing in Modern tonal works. This is not to snub any other styles of music or composer I still feel that there is a need for this kind of work.

"where do we go from here" was also just a bit of fun, to see what responses I would get.

Misuc, I have studied and played troubador music, medeival, rennaissance, I played in a chinese group in London for a year as the only non chinese musician. I have studied Indian classical and popular music and also certain aspects of Middle east music.

The way I learn has always been to ask questions sometimes flippantly, and see the result. I am also a little drunk on the experience of talking to other composers as I have spent a long time in my own world, surrounded by musicians who were not interested or passionate in the nuts and bolts of composition.

I hope that this excuses some of my comments.

Jim

Re: Do you like a good tune.  scott_good at 21:00 on 23 April 2008

so, what is it then that motivates the composition of a compelling melody?

i would also recommend studying jazz of the 30's-50's. not only how it is composed, but how they are realized. a name that has come up on this site is Billy Strayhorn...for instance the melody "Take the A Train" - it is compelling on several levels. perhaps the most obvious element in this work is the rhythm - the rhythmic energy propels the melody through the various harmonic areas, saving till the end, a rousing flourish bringing the period of the phrase to a conclusive finish. but there is much more. break this tune down to it's central voice leading elements, and one will soon realize that there is implied 3 voices moving hamoniously through a well crafted chord progression - top voice on E, middle on G, lower on G (unison) - so, top voice E-D-Db-C, middle voice moves G-G#-A-B-C, and lower voice G - F - E. The bridge section creates great tension, sitting on the 7th between F-E, then F#-E, returning gracefully back to the E-G-G of the opening + concluding phrase. It utilizes perhaps the most potent of musical structures - A-B-A. Why potent? Because when utilized by skilled craftsperson, the B sections tension will recreate the A's return, shedding new life and insight into it.

would anyone else like to share ideas on strong melodic composition? examples and/or techniques?

Re: Do you like a good tune.  Gary Green at 21:32 on 23 April 2008

In response to Jim's quest for a movement name - How about a variation on your original idea, but including another point you made - 'Modern accessible tonalists'? Any good? Of course 'accessible' is subjective, so I'm sure some people who don't like a tune will say it isn't accessible. Maybe it should be 'Subjective accessible tonalists'!... Maybe I should just put my dictionary away for tonight and go and write some music.

Gary

Re: Do you like a good tune.  Misuc at 10:04 on 24 April 2008

A good point, Scott. This takes us to other dimensions - from Rameau (Harmonic motion determining melodic) through Ornette Colemen ('Harmolodics') etc. Where indeed do we go from here? Till now we have barely stretched our little toe along the path.

Re: Do you like a good tune.  EugeneMarshall at 06:57 on 27 April 2008

I like to call myself a neo-populist.

This 35 message thread spans 3 pages:  < <   1  [2]  3  > >