Nat (24/11)
  Roland Auzet (22/11)
  Flaute (20/11)

» Full C:T Members List

Other Resources
News Archive

This 35 message thread spans 3 pages: [1]  2   3  > >  
  Do you like a good tune.  Jim Tribble at 16:25 on 23 March 2008

How many of you like writing tunes? It seems to be a dirty word in classical music now. I like tunes, I like writing tunes and playing tunes. How many pianists would rather play Beethoven to Stockhausen? or Messiaen or Boulez. For 20 odd years I have been writing and exploring tunes, using Baroque to romantic techniques. Sometimes I go off the rails and write something more modern and tuneless, exploring texture but mostly I like writing and exploring in the tonal world.

Should we Modern Classical Tonalists form a new/old genre (there probably is one, but neo-classical etc sounds amateurish). Are there publicists in this day interested in tunes other than the entertainment world. There was an interesting competition in America on the competitions notices for Marimaba pieces in different styles down the times with composers asked to contribute but categorise their music into Baroque, Classical etc. Is this a taste of things to come?

Re: Do you like a good tune.  EugeneMarshall at 12:44 on 24 March 2008

We "Modern Classical Tonalists" should write whatever we want.
I love a good tune before all else too and I write them all the time.
But we're in a post-modern era.
Music no longer has a forward direction.
All that matters is creating a unique voice and communicating with an audience.

But it's risky to write tonally at all. Music critics and publishers and directors are very harsh on the modern tonal composers, so make sure you have a unique style and way of constructing tonal music.

Re: Do you like a good tune.  Jim Tribble at 17:25 on 24 March 2008

Great thanks Eugene so at least there are 2 of us. I think that we are the forward party of a new era, reacting against the perceived wisdom of the establishment, like Debussy did in France. I don't think that we are directionless, I feel that the reaction of modern audiences apart from those in the "know" proves that the new vitality has to be to recapture the audience with new tonal innovation.

Anyway enough ranting.

Re: Do you like a good tune.  jujomonk at 17:52 on 24 March 2008

I am a tonal composer, and I relish the idea of establishing a front on which tonal compositions assert the grasp of art as well as the grasp of popularity. I find myself believing in the eventual new epoch, where musical art takes the forefront and becomes once again what it was long ago: the dominant and popular art form. There will come a day when what is called popular music is nothing but an alternate label for art music.

Re: Do you like a good tune.  Jim Tribble at 23:14 on 24 March 2008

Hopefully, so now there are 3 of us. I also have a flag to wave about humour in music. Which I feel should be a component of tonal music. It is the wit, playing with the listener and performer that I feel is also missing from modern "serious" music. That doesn't mean that the music is flippant but should lead you on a journey.

Re: Do you like a good tune.  Account Closed at 19:28 on 08 April 2008

There are four of us now! Being mainly involved in teaching young people, I am very aware that the pieces they like best, in whatever style, have a good, and often memorable tune.

In fact, many of the comments and reviews I've received of my own pieces have been very complemetary of the fact that they do have good solid tunes.

It is true, that publishers are churning out less and less tonal music, but how many people are buying it, and more importantly to me, how many are playing it?

David

Re: Do you like a good tune.  Jim Tribble at 00:18 on 09 April 2008

The mother of one of my pupils complained that she couldn't get the tune from SKA piece for orchestra out of her head for 2 weeks. Success.

I think that one of the points of music is to communicate to other people, so if you have to become an expert in mathematics to understand what is going on then how are your communicating.

There has to be experimentation, splashing sounds and textures around to see what happens but I think there should also be communication. I like humour in music and I think that children respond to this and enjoy the experience of playing more.

Do you like the idea of an exchange and mart for compositions? (re; are you a modern composer forum) I suppose it will be unworkable as each composer would have to have a group or groups of their own for it to work.

Jim Tribble

Re: Do you like a good tune.  Gary Green at 22:50 on 16 April 2008

Hi
I like writing a tune. Can I join you all? I don't have any proper musical credentials, so if necessary I'll just be the sidekick of the movement if you'll have me. Seriously though, I'm glad that I've found others that do admit to enjoy writing tunes. I think others regard it as a bit uncool.

I do however like some compositions on this website that don't have what I would call a tune... but I can't listen to them for very long.

I don't know why, but the atonal music I've heard seems to feel/sound negative. Why is that? If it's using notes that you'd normally use in both major and minor scales, why does it tend towards the minor, negative and dark?

Sorry, that's a question for another post, which I'm going to post now. Of course, I will probably be shot down by the end of the first few posts (if I get any responses) and will look like a startled bunny in the headlights caused by the musical slaps around the face from others. 'Have you never heard of MacStrabinovegernaboliyan, you buffoon? He was the enigma of atonal jollyism,' they will say. 'Of course I have,' I will reply and will then Google him, and find out that one man's atonal jollyism is another man's life before the citalopram.

Apologies for wittering on.

Gary

Re: Do you like a good tune.  ruska02 at 21:04 on 17 April 2008

To all the "happy whistle in the wind guys" up above
as far as I am a stupid bad classical educated italian composer and musician
may you please , and I say please , name one composer
that from the Gregorian Chant to Neoromanticism
has written " A TUNE" !!!!!!!!
I do not know if you four , or any of you is into pop, jazz, rock or folk , if this I respect what you are saying a lot and especially that "music now a days has no given direction" and you can write tonally or atonally, pitches or timbers, acoustic or electronic, form or unformally , pre or post modern, but whoever of you is in classic contemporary music and talks about "TUNE" should be banned forever from the musical paper ...or go back to school...
By he way I teach to young and very young kids as well ; and there is a thing they like more and before "melodic singing or playing" and is sound.. pure primeval incontaminated sound!

Musical rebirth guerrila !
www.intrasonus.eu
Roberto Rusconi...different kind of composer

Re: Do you like a good tune.  Jim Tribble at 22:38 on 17 April 2008

Why does the idea of a good tune provoke such a negative and spirited response from Roberto? I just like exploring tonal musical ideas. I usually use Baroque, to Romantic techniques to explore them, but I also use modern serial and atonal solutions as well. I agree with Phil Singleton (in the forum "negative atonal music") that there is very beautiful music created by modern contemporary composers I think that the music of Ligetti, Messiaen, Arvo Paart, lutoslowski, etc brilliant in places and inspiring. And used to be a regular listener to the London Sinfonietta and others. I also find Lutoslowski's music in particular full of Humour. Such as his Paganini variations.

Just for myself and obviously 5 others I would like to be taken as a serious composer who happens to be exploring tonalism. And for me part of tonalism is /are the exploration and creation of melodies (good tunes).

Jim

Re: Do you like a good tune.  Gary Green at 00:20 on 18 April 2008

Sorry Roberto, I'm going to continue using the word 'tune' because that's the sort of music I write and... no-one has the authority to ban anyone else from writing music.

Also, I'm sure you know at least one high profile composer throughout the history of composition who has written a tune... go on, admit it. I bet you liked that tune too, didn't you? ;-) I can hear you whistling it. What key is that?

Gary... serious, but also lighthearted kind of composer.

Re: Do you like a good tune.  Jim Tribble at 15:57 on 18 April 2008

Gary asked privately if he was hindering the cause of melodic music, by being too flippant. I wrote back and disagreed and commented that there should be (for me at any rate) humour and humanity in music.

I also said that there is an obvious need and audience among the general public for more accessable modern classical music, as shown by the success of classic FM.

Finding humour in a subject and discussing it in a light hearted manner does not mean that you are not serious about your compositions or music. Humour has always been a way of discussing serious issues effectively.

Where do we proceed from here? I have a few ideas but would like to hear your suggestions first.

Jim

Re: Do you like a good tune.  Jim Tribble at 15:59 on 18 April 2008

PS: I have thought of a name for our movement. The Eclectic movement. Or the Eclectics

What do you think?

Jim

Re: Do you like a good tune.  James McFadyen at 09:15 on 19 April 2008

I write music using traditional methods of exposition; ie: "tune" / "melody". I do this not because I'm a teacher but because I get great enjoyment from it.

Re: Do you like a good tune.  Jim Tribble at 17:41 on 23 April 2008

Thanks for that James, now there are 6 Eclectics in the movement. I still wonder were we can go from here. Any suggestions.

Jim

This 35 message thread spans 3 pages: [1]  2   3  > >