sumio (21/10)
  Archery Promos (20/10)
  Evan Merklin (18/10)
  dany500 (18/10)
  Slotart (16/10)

» Full C:T Members List

Other Resources
News Archive

Premiere of John Tavener`s The Beautiful Names at Westminster Cathedral  atticmusic at 21:09 on 19 June 2007

Listened to this tonight and wondered what others thought of it.

Re: Premiere of John Tavener`s The Beautiful Names at Westminster Cathedral  red5 at 15:23 on 21 June 2007

I didn't hear the piece but heard clips of it when he was interviewed on Front Row (radio 4). I thought it sounded like his normal vague, slightly dull stuff. Apparently when he was writing it he was having tea with Prince Charles who was disgusted he didn't have a commission for it so he found him one. If only Prince Charles realised there are a lot better composers than Tavener out there who don't have commissions - ever!

Re: Premiere of John Tavener`s The Beautiful Names at Westminster Cathedral  atticmusic at 18:58 on 21 June 2007

I have to confess, I don't know what all the fuss is about - I believe his output at present is, as you put it, vague. His earlier stuff was much better - more direction and better crafted altogether.

Re: Premiere of John Tavener`s The Beautiful Names at Westminster Cathedral  red5 at 09:11 on 22 June 2007

Wasn't there 90 bell gongs (one for each name)? Were they at regular intervals? You could imagine them getting quite tiresome!