fjbeppe (14/9)
  JamesG (13/9)
  sonatina_3 (12/9)

» Full C:T Members List

Other Resources
News Archive

This 35 message thread spans 3 pages: [1]  2   3  > >  
  American Composers  francisco_lara at 17:56 on 12 March 2007

Can anyone give me a list of the most prominent American composers. So far I have: Carter, Reich, Adams. Who else would you say is on the list?

Re: American Composers  James McFadyen at 19:26 on 12 March 2007

Michael Torke
Michael Daugherty

Re: American Composers  red5 at 21:14 on 12 March 2007

I'd add Augusta Read-Thomas (sp)

Re: American Composers  James McFadyen at 21:45 on 12 March 2007

Philip Glass

You know, I see this being a very popular thread with lots of additions being added by the CT members!

Re: American Composers  scott_good at 17:52 on 13 March 2007

Joan Tower
Christopher Rouse
Jennifer Higdon
Joeseph Schwantner
Aaron Kernis
John Corigliano
John Harbison

to name a few more...

Re: American Composers  audiostratus at 06:24 on 15 March 2007

Is this currently living composers? If not, I'm surprised Aaron Copeland isn't on the list already...unless I'm missing something in the intent of the original post...?

Re: American Composers  red5 at 16:01 on 15 March 2007

But if this is prominent composers are Joseph Schwantner or Aaron Kernis under this list? Perhaps I'm ignorant but I've never heard of them over here in the UK (not that means they aren't prominent!)

Who are they? Are they any good?

If we are talking dead people then Henry Cowell is a must.

Re: American Composers  scott_good at 16:45 on 15 March 2007

"But if this is prominent composers are Joseph Schwantner or Aaron Kernis under this list? Perhaps I'm ignorant but I've never heard of them over here in the UK (not that means they aren't prominent!)"k.

Aaron Kernis might be a stretch. But, he is widely performed, and, I like some of his music very much. Check out the 2nd symphony - yowza! the 1st movement really blew my mind - very intense and well written for large orchestra - no instrument left behind. (note: if this is a measure of importance, his music has made it onto audition lists for some orchestras in canada).

Joseph Schwantner is quite important, I would think. His lack of performances in Europe does not diminish his presence in north america (he gets a decent amount of play in canada as well). Pulitzer in 78, teaching at many of the important schools, commissions by many of the US's major orchestras. I think he could also be considered prominent by the impact of his music on the culture as a whole.

"Aftertones of Infinity" is Joseph's most famous work. He also composed "...from the mountains rising nowhere" for symphonic band that gets many performances - good recording by the Eastman Wind ensemble.

"If we are talking dead people then Henry Cowell is a must."

I though this was for the living - dead would also include:

Charles Ives
George Crumb (or, is he dead?????)
Samuel Barber
Morton Feldman
John Cage
LaMont Young + many others

and then there is - Duke Ellington, Charlie Parker, Bill Evans, George Gershwin, Billy Strayhorn...

Re: American Composers  Pete12b at 19:05 on 15 March 2007

Gershwin, Duke Ellington, Babbitt, Bernstein, Stephen Foster, Copland, are some whoppers to include. There are some great moments with colaborations with Stravinsky, Hindemith and Shostakovich.

Re: American Composers  David Bruce at 20:04 on 15 March 2007

The whole subject of who is seen as the leading figures in different countries is very interesting. Being from the UK, I'm having a piece done in the States for the first time this April and when I was out there for the workshops in Novemeber it was fascinating to get a glimpse of who musicians there thought were the big league, and who they'd never heard of.

It led indirectly to some of the recent US composers we've interviewed for the site - and it's great to get to know them - I think Derek Bermel is a particularly interesting figure (but I still don't quite have the sense whether he's really well-known in the US or just 'up-and-coming' )!

Re: American Composers  red5 at 15:11 on 16 March 2007

George Crumb is alive and kicking

Re: American Composers  scott_good at 15:46 on 16 March 2007

"George Crumb is alive and kicking"

Good to know. Thanks.

He must be quite an old man now, eh?

Re: American Composers  mattgreenecomposer at 23:30 on 17 March 2007

Well I'm really glad atleast one of you (Pete12b) mentioned some Jazz guys!
Also why aren't any film composers mentioned. I mean HELLO!!!! Maybe not in the academic bubble that some of live in but in the REAL world these are the guys making a living at it. (Howard Shore anyone)
Got to meantion Chick Corea...probably one of the most prolific composers of the second half of the 20th century. we're talking real music here. (not 4'33 seconds of silence).
Sorry, had to get that off my chest.

Re: American Composers  James McFadyen at 11:46 on 18 March 2007

Howard Shore is great.

More American film composers I admire are:
Thomas Newman
James Newton Howard

Re: American Composers  scott_good at 15:53 on 18 March 2007

"Well I'm really glad atleast one of you (Pete12b) mentioned some Jazz guys!"

I mentioned 5.

"Also why aren't any film composers mentioned. I mean HELLO!!!! Maybe not in the academic bubble that some of live in but in the REAL world these are the guys making a living at it. (Howard Shore anyone)"

He's Canadian. So is David Cronenberg, probably his most significant collaborator.

I also mentioned John Corigliano, who won best soundtrack at the Oscars a few years ago.

"Got to meantion Chick Corea...probably one of the most prolific composers of the second half of the 20th century. we're talking real music here. (not 4'33 seconds of silence)."

That is an unnecessary stab at one of the most important (and prolific) composers of the previous century.

But, yes, Corea is very fine - I would also add in that category Herbie Hancock, and Miles Davis. (have you heard the live shows with corea and hancock playing together - wow!!! they bring out the best in each other).

"Sorry, had to get that off my chest."

You could have just added some names with reasons, without all the silliness.

And, we could keep going - what about Arlo Guthrie, Bob Dylan, Patty Smith Hill (who composed the most performed song ever...can you guess?)...

This 35 message thread spans 3 pages: [1]  2   3  > >