Nat (24/11)
  Roland Auzet (22/11)
  Flaute (20/11)
  M.Akram (20/11)

» Full C:T Members List

Other Resources
News Archive

Change from single string phrase  Exen at 14:02 on 03 March 2007

So we all know the sul (whatever string name) to indicate to our players that a phrase should be played on a single string to give it a nice timber. My question is, whats the notation to indicate that the next phrase should use all the strings verse one as before? Ive looked through all my books and cant find it anywhere.

Re: Change from single string phrase  ruska02 at 18:57 on 03 March 2007

The name of the string is sol. You indicate it as IV (Violin) III (Viola) II (Cello) I (Contrabass)
under the notes you want played on that particular string. After that no need to sign anythin gth eplayer will naturally choose the best strings for each passage and for shurre will not keep on playing on any unconfortable string...that is why you have found nothing on your books...

Ph D Roberto Rusconi

Re: Change from single string phrase  Exen at 02:59 on 04 March 2007

From what you have explained to me, I would say a good example of it would be bars 20-24 of Paganini's Ronde a la clochette from his Violin Concerto Nr.2 in B minor Op.7 yes? The marks above it, are as followed II.C. and in the 23rd bar III.C. are my assumptions correct in this?

Re: Change from single string phrase  ruska02 at 07:01 on 04 March 2007

Perfect

Re: Change from single string phrase  James McFadyen at 13:18 on 04 March 2007

If a composer wants a passage played on the G String, you would write Sul G with an extended bracket to indicate the length of the phrase for that Sul G passage.

It should also be noted that the reason that such a technique exists is to ensure the composer gets the right timbre. To say a "nice timbre" is simply too crude a term for this technique.

It is to produce a specific timbre, in fact it can be employed as a means to get a less-than-nice timbre or a passage can be played that has wide leaps and thus played on one string would allow a stronger level of portamento in legato phrases.

Re: Change from single string phrase  scott_good at 16:12 on 06 March 2007

My rule of thumb for using any kinds of specific string bowing (Sul G, Sul Pont, Tasto etc.) is to ALWAYS cancel it by writing Ord. Brackets as early mentioned work as well, but tend to clutter the part - you can bracket like IV________ over the passage, if it seems most logical.

Be careful of using a composer like Paganini as an example of proper notation for your music - his music is canon and there is common performance practice around it. Our music does not have this tradition, and therefor must be explicitly explained. Never assume that a player understands where your notation is coming from.

Just be clear in a logical way, and always be consistent.

Re: Change from single string phrase  Exen at 18:21 on 06 March 2007

I thank everyone who has responded to this inquiry. It has been most helpful in explanations and further compositional knowledge on my part. Thanks a lot gentlemen.